Tuesday, October 10, 2006

A good movie after a long while

It has almost been two years since I read the book “To kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee and today I finally watched the screen adaptation of this Pulitzer winning novel.The movie excels the book with delightful naration and perfect cast.

The story is set in Alabama during the times of depression where racial discrimination was the norm of the day. It tells us about a lawyer who dares to defend an innocent black man charged with rape of a white woman as seen through the eyes of his little girl Scout.

The sleepy town of Maycomb finds itself ensnared in a moral trial of Tom Robinson, a young black man falsely accused of raping an abused and ignorant white woman. Scout and Jem's widowed father,Atticus Finch (Gregory Peck) is a deeply principled man and is appointed to defend Tom. It is a forgone conclusion that he would be charged for the crime and stands no chance of justice from an all-white jury. Though Atticus proves beyond doubt that Tom could never have done the crime yet he is sent to the gallows and even before Atticus can plead a second time, Tom gets shot in an escape attempt. The children come to respect their father for his values even while the villagers turn hostile.
Intertwined with this is the story of the children's encounters with their insane neighbor Boo Radley and how in the end he saves their lives from the blind hatred of the white woman’s father.
It is said that Harper Lee went through similar situations in her life and many characters in this story are drawn from her life.
Racism may be irrelevant in a world of today but sadly prejudice and injustice still are not.
Another novel on the same lines but more vehement and much more longer is "Roots" by Alex Haley...but the problem is this was made into episodes for television and I wonder if I can sit and watch all of it.

4 comments:

Neera said...

I am reading the book again myself. I had liked it a lot the first time but surprisingly I do not remember much of it except the main plot. I also read another book which starts with racial discrimination but is basically about the black convict who is sentenced to death and how he transforms into a "man" before being electrocuted. Its a good one called A Lesson before Dying.

Krish said...

Umm..I got hold of the book only when we were in Hyd...n then I lost the book somehow...now I feel like reading it again...such a nice one that was!!.One of my all time favorites!

wild rose said...

@thinking highly...will sure check out 'A Lesson before Dying' :)

@krish...i remember those good ol' times in Hyd when infy paid us to discuss books and music :) remember the list i made of top 100 books :)yes,it is one my all time favs too!

Krish said...

Oh..How can I forget those days![:(]..miss them..but the list that you prepared is still with me and I am trying to get all of them into my collection...I guess you still hadnt read The Selfish Gene![;)]