Thursday, May 31, 2007

happy being vegetarian

Am so happy to be a vegetarian and I am happy that I was born one and just had to hang on there with conscious choice of being one always. I did not have to give up much.
I would have been happier if I was born a vegan but then I wouldn't be able to eat even my favorite breakfast cereal. It is something I am going to start working on- so from today, I plan to atleast reduce the consumption of milk.

The simple act of denying animal products for ethical/ compassionate reasons puts us (me and hubby) in a corner whenever we step out of my house. We cannot go to any and every restaurant and grab a bite- we end up asking a hundred questions to the poor guy who serves us about the content of the food. We cannot go camping and set a grill or go fishing or have a bbq at home. We see each and every food label to check if it contains animal products and yet we do consume bleached sugar and cannot let go of pastries. I don't know how many times my screening has slipped and we have ended up eating gelatin filled curd or used a body lotion with animal fat.

We watched Fast Food Nation yesterday - many of the scenes nearly made me throw up and I kept wondering how people still eat the food they do and especially Fast food . You know that they are adding all sorts of chemicals to get the smell and flavor , then there is a good portion of animal faeces that conveniently gets mixed up in your food and it all comess with such low nutritional value. Why do you want to consume it?
If I make a side dish, keep it frozen for a week and take it out - it tastes like mud -but if you buy frozen entrees and microwave them, they taste just as good as newly made. Why is that and How's that? Why do Mc D's fries taste so good? The answer is so simple and is in fromnt of you-the "Flavor industry" and the Flavorists . We are not ignorant, we all have some information about it or are atleast know that something is wrong here and yet we keep doing the same things over and over again. We know about obesity and under-paid, exploited employees and all about the innocent animals getting chopped in the most inhuman way. Then Why?
well,that's my two pennies worth.

2 comments:

Krish said...

There is another way to see non-veg, which I seldom say in public, coz its gross...aint it like eating dead bodies? [:)]..I ate beef once and I nearly threw off- it tasted awfull..I didnt know it had beef.but then I still have my doubts on the sort of taste that non-veg gives!

wild rose said...

all creatures kill to eat-whether it is plants or animals- in that sense we have been doing what u say all along. :)
but when i look at a cow or a goat or a hen,(esp a cow) my heart goes out to them- they are so innocent and adorable, i donno how you can cut such a beautiful alive animal and eat it. I totally dont get it. If i see a fresh fruit hanging, i would be tempted to pluck it and taste it- i haven't dared to ask anyone- but- is the feeling same when u look at an animal? aren't they so very lovable and they trust you so much!
hmmm